Monday, May 01, 2006

Piggybacking (again)

Sooooooo, I was just at Karen S' blog and she did a review for a book by someone who writes romantic comedies and thus, the battle WAGES, baby. LOLLOL. Only not between the author and Karen. I dig the chicks name who wrote the book--it cracks me up. Never read her stuff, but again, my life is so small, yet chaotic that I just don't have the time. Also, she writes romantic comedies and I'm sure she's hilarious, but it's hard to make me laugh. I think the only person to ever do that like LOL in a book was Sandra Hill--genius IMHO. I hate going into a book, thinking I should laugh and not laughing. I can understand how some people feel that when it's labeled "comedy", you feel gyped if ya didn't chuckle.

Besides, it's like Karen said. Humor is subjective. Some people get a good giggle from slapstick comedies, other's won't always get the jokes in your dialogue. Comedy is fricken' hard shit and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If it's forced, harder still.

Such is life.

Okay, so I read the review and all in all, it wasn't horrifying. Not even a little and I've read one or two of hers that made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It was honest enough and Karen said what she felt about the book in clear, concise terms. She didn't bash (well, there was a semi-harsh thought or two, but it wasn't cruel by any stretch. The Anna Nicole Smith joke made me smirk). it made me snicker once or twice and thank Jesus and the 12 apostles it wasn't my book. The nice author posted back a cute rebuttal. She took Karen's words and twisted them to make it seem as though Karen had raved about the book.

Good on her, I say. She can take it like a true champ. That takes moxy. it also shows a humble streak a mile wide. Some things you can explain to a reviewer and it's justified, other's you can't and it isn't worth it. Not everyone is going to love you like Harriet Clausner. Which brings me to a question--who in the hell IS this woman HC and why do I hear her name bandied about in hushed whispers???? Could I get an answer to that sometime this new moon? I really want to know.

Anyway, here's my beef. A blogger (kind of anonymous, but not--she uses a name, but it's a generalization on the word PUBLIC) got a wee bit upset with Karen's review. I'm gonna guess that she was sticking up for an author she likes--HOWEVER, what is it about these people that makes them Sooooooooooo confrontational? Heaven's to mergatroid, why does it always have to be a rush to defend the author when someone else really IS allowed to have a flippin' op? It's not like Karen called the nice author lady a lowdown 'ho. She didn't accuse her of sleeping with anyone to get the book published.

God, is it me, or is that just tiresome as of late? Karen did a REVIEW. Does this mean the world shall tilt on its axis? Did it register on the Richter Scale of how dare you?

And then, we get nitpicky. Other people jump on in and say stuff like, "please don't use the name such and such public because you're not a representation of me." Lawd, almighty. Gasoline on the fire, baby. I mean, c'mon. Karen responded to the lady who was tweaked and so did some of the others--with some very well thought out responses, I might add. So can't it just be let go at that? I guess this public person has a right to her op too, I just wish to the high Heavens she didn't come off so crazed. it's pretty easy to say, "I disagree with you, Karen. I love this book like I love a good screwing." End of saga.

We're not talking saving lives here people. It's a book review, not a permanent cure for erectile dysfuntion.

So, here's a thought. When going in to defend your beloved proser (is that a word? LOLLOL), if you must, could you do it with some chill factor involved. Don't get so damned excited if someone doesn't like your fav author's work. I gotta agree with Karen, you're only doing them a disservice by becoming confrontational.

Breathe before ya type--it's wonderful to have loyal, faithful fans (I know, cuz I have like 20. LMAO). But it isn't so wonderful to feel like you have to defend that fan when they come off like no one's op matters but theirs. Diplomacy is a true gift. I'd send it for Christmas, but Neiman Marcus is all out...

Oh, and to the nice author lady? LOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE the cover. Love, love love it.

So got any thoughts on what makes people get so nuts? The author didn't. Why do some of the fans? Isn't it like liking a certain brand of ice cream? I like chocolate fudge chunk, you like chunky monkey?

What's the scoop? Ohhh, I made a pun. LOLLOL

Dakota :)

3 Comments:

  • At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    dunno what that chicks problem was.

    Karen did a good review
    The author came back with a fabulous snark

    then this chick goes off.

    I dunno - weird.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Erin the Innocent said…

    I'm glad it didn't seem like bashing because it wasn't! The book is a keeper (from my blog)

    I have no idea what the problem was with the woman at Karen's blog. I'm guessing that some people just need to argue and be pissy about stuff and she's one of those types.

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe she had a bad hair day? Maybe her nylons got a run and she decided it was time to run amok about something? Maybe she is entering the stages of PMS? Who knows. Whats good reading to someone may not be to someone else. I agree the woman needs to take a valum and breathe for a while.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger