Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Dear MAD

Um, I just wanna grocery shop.

Yes, yes, you're a valuable entity in the war against drunk driving.

However, if I choose not to openly whip out a twenty from my John D. Rockefeller wallet, cut me some slack, would ya?

You have no clue that I send a check to MAD once a year, now do you? You couldn't know because you were too busy shoving shit down my throat.

Know why I do that? Cuz when I was three, I was in a car accident with my brother who was five. My mother and my brother and I were hit by a drunk driver.

My brother was killed.

I had two broken legs--17 stiches in my fractured skull, a broken collar bone and a jagged scar under my chin where something (no one seems to know what) jammed under my chin.

My brother, who at the time I was sitting in front of on the seat (no seat belt laws in 1969) shoved me forward and under the dashboard. He was catapulted through the roof of our Volkswagon Beetle.

He died on impact.

So, while I naturally sympathize with your plight for money--BACK THE FUCK OFF when I want to grocery shop in peace. Ot's bloody hot in TX and I don't want to have to fend you off while my Haggen Daaz raspberry ripple melts and you fuck with me.

When I tell you I don't bring checks with me or my debit card to the store because I charge it on my Discover Card so I can get miles points and save myself a buck or two sending my kids to NJ, trust me. I'm telling the fricken' truth.

If I say I already gave to your fine non-profit orginization, trust me.

So, the next time you see a poor, tired mom on her way into the Kroger to buy food for the masses--watch your step. More importantly, watch your sales pitch. Cuz it's damned abrasive.

I know the stats on drunk driving, shithead.

My family IS one.

Thanks.

Survivor of MAD vigilantes at my local Kroger,
Dakota Cassidy :)

7 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    oh sweetie

    I'm so sorry you lost a brother.

    that sucks

     
  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Isabella Jordan said…

    Me too, DC. But thank you for taking this up because while I also support this group, aggressive fundraising just plain sucks. Go get 'em!

    Isy

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Erin the Innocent said…

    ((((((((Hugs)))))))))) I can't add anything that the other ladies haven't already said to you.

     
  • At 9:16 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    Well, thanks, guys, but I don't remember much of it. It's all pretty vague. However, the fundraising tactics NEED to change or I'm going to come out of the Kroger with a new broom. LOLLOL

    Dakota :)

     
  • At 7:00 AM, Blogger Michelle B said…

    Sorry to hear about your brother, Dakota.

    And I totally agree with you about solicitors at the grocery (and other) stores. Sometimes when I see someone set up outside, I just want to turn around and leave. My problem is that I have "Can't say no" syndrome. I've gotten better at saying no, but I still end up getting at least sucked in to listening to the spiel cause I don't want to be rude. Oh well...

    Michelle

     
  • At 11:05 PM, Blogger Sam said…

    That was too sad about your brother. Just awful.
    Your rant made me remember something that happened to me (besides the time seventh day adventists sent a little boy to my door to knock, thinking I'd be more inclined to invite them in if he asked. It didn't work. So in a loud voice I asked the little boy why he wasn't in school, and if they were paying him, and did he really know these people, and if any of them had touched him in an innappropriate manner...and at that moment they came rushing to the door to drag him away. LOL.)
    So I posted it on my blog about the time I lost it with a little old lady.

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You can add lots of other organizations to this rant. People just badger shoppers to death. Just yesterday a softball team was soliciting funds at Wally-World, and ya know, I used my debit card. I REALLY didn't have any cash.....they must think I kick puppies in my spare time, the dirty looks I got - sheesh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger