Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Oh, horse puckey!

Sigh--more controversy of which I had nothing to do with. So, I'm piggybacking because well, I've gotten all ballsy in my old age and I'm allowed to have an op. I try not to have one publicly, but on THIS topic, I do :)

So, Jaynie was upset this week. That upset me. So I went to her blog to see whassup?

She and an author who writes inspirationals had a bit of a tiff over a contest that the author excluded non US residents from.

I kinda thought that sucked. However, this time, Jaynie didn't begin the blog thing. The nice inspirational lady did. She posted Jaynie's comments to her in private e-mails, anonymously. No, she didn't mention Jaynie's name, but apparently, she left out some pertinent goodies and it didn't (in my mind) represent what Jaynie was saying very fairly. Jaynie posted her comments in the e-mails on her blog.

Jaynie's beef--why exclude us folks overseas from a contest? We can promo you here. We might even be apt to skip on over to the ever controversial Amazon and buy your book--pay a ridiculous amount of money to have your book shipped to us and tell people about it here in Australia.

The authors beef--it costs too much to send books overseas. She basically said, too bad, so sad. It was her budget, she could do as she pleased with it and spend it in the best way she saw fit.

If that excluded the extra 7 bucks or so in shipping overseas, cest la vie--she wasn't budging. She also said something a smidge crass if you ask me. especially for an author who writes INSPIRATIONALS. I'd almost expect one of us erotic authors to say, "Kiss my boo-tay", cuz we use words like that, but she said, "This lady believes book giveaways are about thanking readers. Well, they aren't about that at all."

That made me go, huh?

Well, no, they're about attracting readers with a wee tidbit, but it's also about being a nice author chick too. Or I thought it was. She might be raising that skeptical eyebrow at me now, but I thought contests were a back scratcher. Do I have them to increase sales--yep. Do I expect you to rush off and gush. I'd like it, but it won't keep me from sending you one again if ya don't.

She further explained that she wants people to win her books and then share them with various clerks and such in your life. Like your hairdresser and manservant. LOL. She didn't say manservant, but I thought it was funnier.

Anyway, the crux of this was word of mouth is what she hopes to garner from her contests. Sme word of mouth sales, to be precise. Just not word of mouth overseas. Cuz it needs a passport and stuff.

Okay--so the debate was all very nice, except for one woman who really was pretty vehement and didn't make a lot of sense to me. However, she called Jaynie selfish and that was sort of bizarre. There was also the guy who gave us his Dr. Phil-ism on entitlement issues that made me go,"Dude, it's a BOOK, not a divorce." But who am I to judge? I just ignored that and moved on to the stuff I could piece together in full sentences :)

I posted a couple of times and respectfully so. The author and a couple of others posted back, respectfully as well.

BUT THEN (deep breath), after she'd said what she deemed appropriate--made it clear that it wasn't in her best promotional interests and budget to send books overseas--told us all quite gallantly that she wasn't going to be baited into a fight--informed us SHE was not the one to out Jaynie--then, she closed the comments down and said she'd delete anymore that came her way. I'm guessing that means she's not going to post the ones NOT in her favor. She even said it wasn't a forum to talk about how stupid she was. I kinda went, huh again. I can't recall anyone calling her stupid.

I thought CHEAP, but not stupid. However, like I said in my posts to her--I respect her choices and I'd hope she'd respect others if they don't buy her book.

But what really tweaked my nether parts was shutting down the blog and claiming Jaynie's e-mail to her, that she so nobly posted anonymously, was for the INTEREST OF HER READERS.

Oh, bananas! Pluuueease. That's where my busllshit-ometer went, SNORT.

You did not either. You put it on your blog in the first place for that word of mouth thing you hope will happen at the Hairdressers Convention when they pass around your book.

Why would your readers want to know that you couldn't be bothered to include readers overseas?

Seems rather abrasive to me.

She didn't do it for the interest of her readers--she did it for justification--validation. Period.

There wasn't an earthly reader who needed to know they were too much work if they lived outside of your small corner of the world.

Not one.

I was okay with her choice, even though I felt certain alienation was imminent. I was okay with it until she wouldn't let anyone have another opinion, even if it was a strong one and posted it under the guise of blogging for the INTEREST TO HER READERS.

Baloney.

Dakota :)

And as a P/S--I read her blog a bit more and as I dug deeper, she kinda digs being linked to when you use one of her quotes--be it good or bad. She's also very blatant about how immodest she is and she has no qualms about her irritation with people who say, "I don't want to shamelessly promote..." She DOES want to shamelessly promote. Just not in the European market. So my disclaimer to giving her blog traffic, is this--I suck technically. I wouldn't know how to link to her if you paid me. So I didn't :)

12 Comments:

  • At 9:52 PM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    We really need to teach Dakota how to do links so everyone else can go read it lol.

    Hop on over to my blog and check out what the fuss is about:
    http://jaynier.blogspot.com

    smooch DC

     
  • At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well at least I know who not to waste my money on lol

    btw Brenda? You can't say I don't read your type of stories because I read what you'd probably label smut. I read all genres and actually smut too *g* Morgan quite proudly calls her stuff that lol. I just started what is looking to be a wonderful book by Dee Henderson who is an insperational writer.

    anyways...I got a bit distracted there... as I commented on her blog, she closed herself off of a wonderful opportunity to be promo'd to readers who might not normally have read her books. Jaynie has many contacts through blog and newsletter and now all they know is that an inspirational writer (of all people!) is too closed minded to welcome discussion without resorting to name calling. *shrugs*

    Whatever *s* That's just money I can spend on other authors that I won't bother to spend on her stuff.

     
  • At 9:56 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    Jaynie--we really do...Dakota has no cyber talents, but she WILL send stuff overseas, if that helps at all. LOLLOL

    Erin--you know, if occurred to me, my pic is on her blog. she writes inspirationals and I'm apalled that my cleavage is showing. Though, that could be condidered inspirational to some poor blind person. LOLLOL

    I MUST crop that pic :)

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger Maura Anderson said…

    While I personally think it's unwise to shut out overseas readers from promos, I think what bothered me the most was how badly Brenda handled this whole thing.

    Why drag it into the blog? If you felt your readers needed to know your feelings on why you were not willing to do overseas promo mailings, why not just write a professional calm post that says "I carefully weighed what I saw as the benefits vs costs and given my budget for promos, I felt it was better for me to give 3 US winners each a book than only 1 to an overseas winner."

    That would be something people could read, understand and didn't point any fingers or offer any apologies. People can respect an author making a considered choice in how to spend their money.

    Instead the impression I got when reading the posts on Brenda's blog was that there was a lot of justification but none of it was handled professionally. Most of it seemed to consist of ...well.. excuses.

    "It's too much trouble." - okay, now my overseas readers know they are too much trouble to me.

    "It's too expensive." Umm - we all know there are tradeoffs but now your readers think that you are unwilling to make any tradeoffs that might help them. Apparently they are not worthy.

    It just looked bad.

    For me, thinking positive for WHEN i become published (not if), I think I will choose to NOT make my contests US only unless there is some legal or compelling reason why I have to - and then I will try alternate ways to keep my overseas readers.

    The only reason I will have readers is if I produce a good product and they know I'm not a jerk. This is only one way to try to show them that....

     
  • At 11:10 PM, Blogger Millenia Black said…

    Dakota - your recounting of events is just TOO funny! LOL

    Hilarious! ;-)

     
  • At 11:23 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    LOL--well, thanks, doll. I try to come off as blonde as I'm really NOT, but am oft accused of (man, blondes can't have much fun if everyone always associates that with the not so bright, huh?). LOLLOL

    I don't want to whack people over the head with my op, but I DO have one and sometimes, I gotta call a spade a spade. I just call it a snarky spade so I won't be beaten. LOL

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Blogger Angela James said…

    I'm sorry, this whole thing kind of makes me laugh because it's so classic Brenda.

    Anyone who's followed blogs in the past year knows Brenda always ducks and runs when it stops being about her fangirls and boys telling her how fabuloso her and her books are and about being an actual discussion, controversy, catfight, whatever. When it gets to people making salient points countering Brenda's POV, she's outtie. Every. Single. Time. Why? I don't know, but she's never made Inspy authors look good and she's certainly never made herself look good.

    A month or so ago, I did a little rant about self-proclaimed "Christians" and how they're the ones that turn me off of religion. Brenda Coulter? A prime example in my mind when I wrote that blog. Not a very good representative of the values of her supposed faith at all.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    Angie? I could understand if it had gotten nasty, but everyone played pretty nice. I just didn't much like the parting shot to Jaynie and no allowance for her to rebuttal.

    It's rather like covertly attacking and that's sissy crap. I've never heard of her until just the other day and I hae to say, she touts her love of Christianity, but it's not terribly Christian-like to not at least discuss things.

    But then, what do I know? LOL

    Dakota :)

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Karen Scott said…

    Well it sure made my day! If I'd have gotten a chance to comment on her blog, I may have forgotten to be polite, and said something quite nasty about religion being the root of all evil, or else something that would have gotten her worshippers equally as mad. Darn.

    Her entire attitude is as unchristian as they come, no wonder I'm scared of people who carry bibles in their bags instead of make-up.

    I'd love to know how many books she sells that she can afford to be picky about her readers.

    Oh well, you know what they say... there's an idiot born every minute.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    I consider myself a Christian, in the respect that I try to be a good person. I don't play at being one, I DO IT. I try not to be judgemental unless you're downright a dumb ass. I try to stay true to my beliefs and be honest, always.

    I don't shove my beliefs down anyone's throat. It's up to the individual to make choices when choosing a maker or not choosing at all. But I gotta think God wouldn't much like this sort of bait-swtich--grab your cronies--throw stuff and run. I would like to think he wants everyone to have an op and the opportunity to express it in a calm, rational manner. That last post of hers to Jaynie was anything but engaging and cest la vie-like. It far more I'm the boss of my blog than anything else. I

    t was evident she needs to be clear about who's the boss when she told me she'd be in charge of her budget, or whatever her high falutin' response was.

    Course, I'm not God. I don't know how he'd feel. However, I read several of her blogs and found them a bit less based on Christianity than they are based on a verrrrry superior attitude. Kind of my way or the highway.

    And that's cool--it's just not my thang.

    Ah, well. So be it :)

    Dakota :)

     
  • At 10:46 AM, Blogger Karen Scott said…

    Ahh Dakota, you're too nice, let's just call her a tight-fisted beeotch and move on *g*

     
  • At 11:52 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    I AM nice. LOLLOL

    I try so hard to be, but I can't stand a hypocrite and it's hypocitical to call this anything but a woman with spoon in hand, stirring a big ole pot of shit.

    Dakota :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger