Friday, November 04, 2005

Got a new gig

writing, that is.

Got a new editor too.

Scary, that is. LOLLOL

Had this book--my agent wanted something different done with it and I decided it'd be better to write her a whole new one. I don't know what I was thinking, but that's what I'm doing.

So--I decided I'd have to beg someone to publish it and I set about finding a place for it to go. It's full length and my primary pub only does short stories. This couldn't be broken up into a series, cuz it just wouldn't have worked.

I'd been thinking about this one place because I knew some of the people there and I like 'em. So I threw my hat into the ring and BAM.

They offered me cars and men and a 401K for my MS. Little ole me...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm kidding, of course. First, I'm a nobody. Second, well, no cars, no 401K and not a naked male butt in sight. LMAO

However, they did offer me a fair working environment, nice bunch of folk and a wing-nut editor.

That's what I'm blogging about today. My new editor...

Jaynie, Jaynie, Jaynie is my new editor at Triskelion pub.

I'd gulp, but I got nothin' left. I'm dry over it. LMAO

So, last night, she e-mails me and asks me the most ludicrous question known to man. Do you know how to fix this in the MS?

A formatting problem.

HAH! Yeah, lemme get out my geek hat and I'll get back to ya.

NOT.

Now of course, my illustrious new editor KNOWS I have no clue how to help her, but I think she's rather sadistic and enjoys toying with the new girl.

Then, she slams me for the use of my exclamation points in my MS...!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Snort.

I'm not much of an exclamation point over-user. I rarely use them. However, it would seem I used 7 in 76 words. Wow. I think it was a crack day and I was excitable.

This is a small indication for what I'm up against, I'd suppose. I fully expect a nice, new hole is my ass when all is said and done.

It'll be worth it, cuz this is, according to my editor, a different kind of DC book. It's DEEP, she says. Emotional. I'm worried because most people buy my books for the cotton candy I am. I don't do meaty filet mignon with a loaded baked potatoe on the side very often. Never, actually. I'm spun sugar, light and fluffy.

Now, I'm worried NO ONE will buy my book because it isn't as fluffy. It's my first full length--it's about online dating and some of the e-mails in it were actually e-mails I received during my stint there on the date site. The responses are mine too. Snort.

Needless to say, it's a bit of a departure for me because it IS emotional and I didn't even know it. It IS simply boy meets girl. No crazy plot twists and turns--jokes, obviously, but no secret alien goats or anything.

So what happens if all 21 of my fans don't buy it?

I'm going to have to get a job at Walmart, working the feminine protection aisle.

OY.

Anyway--I joined a new pub today. I love the folks there. You oughta go check out Triskelion if you have a chance. They have some way cool authors, including Jess Jarman and Shelly Laurenston. Both personal friends of mine and fellow dingbats. LOLLOL. I love them.

I love my new editor, despite her desperate refusal to acknowledge an exclamation point when necesssary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also love that she challenged me and said, "Are you going to let this sit in a drawer because you're a chicken shit baby, or take a chance?"

I opted chicken shit baby--Jaynie yelled at me. I then opted brave warrior writer. LOLLOL

So, thanks, Jaynie, for being the peach you are and thinking this book will sell, even if it isn't the norm DC fare. And thanks to the nice people at Triskelion for taking a chance that they'll make 21 books sales off me.

I'm going to wait with fear in a fetal position for Jaynie's edits.

The pink pills are lookin' mighty fine today. LOLLOL

Dakota :)

7 Comments:

  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    No pink pills until you've finished edits - I don't want to have to look for you in the tulip garden. Try an orange one - it might help you figure out your cover art form *g*

    We are so glad to have you at Trisk - and you know damn well that all 21 of us will be buying at least 2 copies of the book *snerk*

    smooch,

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Layers, Kota..... Layers!

    It's not just cotton candy! You write many layers that reach through and pluck the different heartstrings in our souls. The fun cotton candy stuff is there - I personally count on it to take me away from my reality-based day. But the layers are there to keep me from having to visit the dentist too often.
    :)
    Fuzz
    (and before you accuse me of doing my Dr. Phil thing..... are you sure you have 21 fans? Or is it ONE fan who bought 21 copies? (snerk!)

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    OMG--they have a tulip garden at TRISK? I'm so into botany. LOLLOL

    Thanks, babe.

    Er, fuzz? Could you buy three copies? That'd put me at 22. I'd be soooo rich. LOL

    Thanks for the kind words. You know I love ya ::)

    Dakota :)

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Shiloh Walker said…

    dakota darlin.. you're hilarious.

    And nothing wrong with fluff...although I don't think comedy romance is fluff. I can't do it worth a damn and I wish I could. Fluff implies easy to write... Comedy is easy for you cuz that's your gift.

    And I'd imagine it's gotta be good... if Jaynie wanted it. ;)

    congrats and good luck working with HER....~luv ya jaynie...~

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    Shi's just jealous cos she doesn't have me to point out her head hopping and exclamation points

    *innocent look*

    Hey Kota - did ya know Shi has 4 books at Trisk? You're in good company doll.

     
  • At 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congrats on the new pub, Dakota! Along with the great new editor. :-)

    Hugs!

    Chey

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    Aw, thanks much, Shi darlin'. I guess comedy kinda is my thang, eh? LOL.

    Thanks, Chey!

    kisses,
    Dakota :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger