Monday, August 01, 2005

Must Love Dogs--not the movie

Sigh...

So yesterday I waxed poetic about my love for John Cusack--which REMAINS. I saw his new movie with Diane Lane yesterday with the B/F, Must Love Dogs.

Apparently, this was a book at one time. Not sure if it was a romance or chick lit. Sometimes the movie had a chick lit feel--others a romance. Part of my problem, methinks.

I made a BIG deal over going to see it--I terrorized the B/F about it--he totally supported my JC NEED--went to bat for me and even though he was a bit late--he got me to the movie on time AND got me popcorn and a soda. He's a peach, my B/F :)

Anyway--the movie begins with John bemoaning his divorce and Sarah (Diane Lane), just getting over hers. Her family rallies for her, John's friend for him in the "get over it process". Life goes on theories abound. All completely identifiable with this divorced woman. Diane Lane did a great job of playing the out of the dating loop, insecure, no one will ever want to date me divorcee.

John, was of course, stellar in his portrayal of much the same. They just didn't mesh together in chemistry or dialogue and angst. Doing the angst thing together might have gone a long way in making for some sweet dialogue.

John and Diane place ads on an Internet dating site. Well, Diane doesn't, but her sister does it for her. Long story short--they meet in a dog park and have a semi failed first time 'round date. Albeit cute. Diane also goes on other dates too. One with a guy who cries all the time, another who likes a little kink.

Diane and John getting together was a bit too choppy for me and I found myself rewriting dialogue in my head, whilst kissing the B/F, during said choppiness. The dialogue could have been uber clean given a little verbal sparring. John's at his best if he can deliver some wickedly sharp verbiage and I feel pretty sure Diane could have held her own. The end was abrupt and left us going, "huh?"

I will say this, the B/F and I found ourselves laughing a lot over some of the situations presented with the online dating scene. We sometimes felt like we were the only two who got it, though--I'm thinking that might be the trouble with the movie. Those who haven't experienced it, can't really "get" what it's like because they haven't experienced it. We have, very recently in fact and so we had a lot of, what felt like private chuckles :)

There were also way too many people in it and another man who Diane is interested in (God only knows WHY, when she has JOHN) that sorta screwed up the flow of stuff. Each scene felt a bit like it was left undone. I couldn't fall for them as a couple when they spent not nearly enough time figuring out they were right for each other. Besides, I'M right for John. NOT Diane Lane LMAO

I won't say I hated it because that would mean I'd be dissing my John and well, that just won't EVER happen, but had I some control over how the timeline of the movie played out? it would have been much diff.

I hope John needs consolation if the reviews are bad. I can help. LOLLOL

Dakota :)

6 Comments:

  • At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You totally left out that they stole your terminology. Yes... Diane Lane actually calls a guy a "Stupidhead". TOTALLY ripping you off.

    ~The Champ

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    thank you, honey, er, THE CHAMP...'tis a truism. I've been using the term "stupidhead" for like EVER--since I was a kid. I HAVE been ripped off. LOL

    up and coming Champ
    DC :)

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger Jaynie said…

    Hence why I only watch shoot em up, action, American Bullshit movies - no expectations, no disappointments *g*

    Oh well, at least you got to perve at John.

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger thewriterslife said…

    Sounds like a great movie...I'm going to see it next week-end. As for what it is, the industry is calling it "chick lit romantic comedy." I know, it even confuses those of us who write the genre. ;o)

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad you got to see it - sorry it was a disappointment. I don't share the JC-lust. He's a bit too boyish for me. Good with snappy dialog tho.

    Sounds like you had more fun canoodling and rewriting the script. If you ever get tired of ebooks, you can always take Hollywood by storm!
    P

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Dakota Cassidy said…

    yeah, that's be me. Screenwriter extraordinaire. LOLLOL

    DC :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger